Posted on March 22 2018
Twitter Terms of Service
Capricious & Arbitrary
“We see voices being silenced on Twitter every day. We’ve been working to counteract this for the past 2 years…We prioritized this in 2016. We updated our policies and increased the size of our teams. It wasn’t enough.” -Jack Dorsey, CEO at Twitter
You can read Jack’s Thread below, also further down I explain the catalyst for Jack’s “thread”…
To say Twitter’s “selective” Enforcement of their own Terms of Service, welp that’s an understatement. There are twitter accounts and possibly bot armies that everyday:
- full on dox “anonymous users”
- send death threats
- post unauthorized and sometimes stolen pictures of users
- Incessantly tweet verbal abuse, vulgar names, threats of gang rape and other sexually explicit tweets.
- tweeting users should “kill themselves” and on and on…
If you are a “woman” Twitter, you better have Teflon skin. Frankly, Twitter is probably the least safe place for you or your views. It’s a given that if you are politically vocal on Twitter, part of “Twitter’s Terms of Service”, you should expect aggressive & often unsolicited sexual objectification, dismissiveness “engagement” and yes of course protracted twitter abusive.
Last October Twitter Suspended Rose McGowan’s Account, just as the #MeToo and #TimesUp movement started gaining traction. Twitter’s reasoning was McGowen had tweeted someone’s phone number.
See Vox article below
And sure you can fill out Twitter’s long form Support ticket. But speakimg from personal experience, reporting a tweet or twitter account to Twitter Support has firmly become a:
Total Exercise in Futility
…Twitter Support simply does NOT care
And as luck would have it, yesterday Amnesty International published the first chapter of their extensive research of how Toxic Twitter is for women and how Twitter consistently fails.
Link to the Amnesty International Report here
Amnesty International also launched a “sister website”:
TOXIC TWITTER –
A TOXIC PLACE FOR WOMEN
- “Twitter is a social media platform used by hundreds of millions of people around the world to debate, network and share information with each other. From high-level female politicians to journalists, activists, writers and bloggers, to women who simply want to know what’s happening around them…”
- “But for many women, Twitter is a platform where violence and abuse against them flourishes, often with little accountability….
- …Twitter is failing in its responsibility to respect women’s rights online…”
- “The violence and abuse many women experience on Twitter has a detrimental effect on their right to express themselves equally, freely and without fear. “
This was Twitter’s 3 page response to Amnesty International, just prior to Amnesty releasing Chapter One of the aforementioned report:
While you're here, throw us a bone.
Mad Dog is thrilled to have Spicy in our PAC(k). We are proud to provide a space for her tireless, hard hitting, in-depth investigations. But we can’t do it without you.
Our numbers are growing. Our voices are being heard. Our campaigns are making a difference. Help us, and Spicy, continue to fight the good fight. Consider a donation to help support the work of Mad Dog PAC today.