Posted on April 07 2018
Elliott Broidy and Robin Rosenzweig-Broidy
1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB)
I suppose we should dive into the 2016 Department of Justice Summer 2016 Press Conference. Then Attorney General, Loretta Lynch unsealed 16 separate filings of civil forfeiture complaints, citing this was:
“the largest single action ever brought under the Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative.”
Upscale Real Estate Holdings, Luxury Jets, hundreds of millions in Fine Art, a Yacht, Movie Production/Rights for Wolf of Wall Street.
This was a cross agency and arguably a monolithic & multi pronged Investigation. The team included:
- Assistant Attorney General Leslie R. Caldwell of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division.
- U.S. Attorney Eileen M. Decker of the Central District of California.
- FBI Deputy Director Andrew G. McCabe.
- Chief Richard Weber of the Internal Revenue Service-Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI).
The unsealed Complaints itemized the forfeiture and recovery of more than $1 billion in assets associated with an international conspiracy to launder funds misappropriated from a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund.
- 2009 through 2015, more than $3.5 billion in funds belonging to 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) was allegedly misappropriated by high-level officials of 1MDB and their associates.
- United States seeks to recover more than $1 billion laundered through the United States and traceable to the conspiracy.
- “1MDB was created by the government of Malaysia to promote economic development in Malaysia through global partnerships and foreign direct investment, and its funds were intended to be used for improving the well-being of the Malaysian people.
- 1MDB “officials and their associates allegedly misappropriated more than $3 billion.“
The portfolio of assets is just mind blowing.
One Bombardier Global 5000 with the registration number N689WM DOJ July 2016 Complaint is owned by fugitive;
🚨Low Taek Jho, also known as Jho Low*🚨
The aforementioned DOJ Complaint reads in part:
- “All right and title to Bombardier Global 5000 aircraft bearing manufacturer serial number 9265 and registration number N689WM, with two Rolls Royce engines bearing manufacturer’s serial numbers 12487 and 12488 (“BOMBADIER JET”), including all appurtenances, improvements, and attachments thereon, all aircraft logbooks, and all leases, rents, and profits derived thereform..”
May of 2016 the Swiss also opened several criminal cases surrounding 1MBD.
- “Firstly, the sum of USD 800 million appears to have been misappropriated from investments in natural resources made by the SRC sovereign fund....
- “Secondly, it is suspected that a ‘Ponzi‘ scheme fraud (i.e. paying the returns on initial investments from funds obtained from subsequent investors rather than from legitimate revenue from the investments) was committed to conceal the misappropriations from both the SRC fund and from 1MDB.”
- “These suspected misappropriations from 1MDB were the subject of the OAG’s first request for mutual legal assistance to the Malaysian authorities.”
February of 2017 Jho Low’s Jet was seized as it was parked on a runway in Singapore. As chronicled by this Sarawakreport, who was one of the first to confirm the news.
Incidently in their report they also shed more light on Singapore’s own legal actions surrounding 1MBD:
- “Singapore is in the middle of a series of court cases against former employees at BSI, Coutts, Falcon Banks, who assisted Jho Low in his money laundering activities and Monetary Authority officials have described the case as the largest and most complex case they have ever had to deal with, involving “staggering sums of money..”
June 2017 the Department of Justice filed an updated
VERIFIED COMPLAINT FOR FORFEITURE IN REM
The distinction is this Complaint is in ADDITION to the June 2016 Complaint. Some are conflating this is the same Complaint. Simply put its not. Per the DOJ Press Release;
- ‘..civil forfeiture complaints seeking the forfeiture and recovery of approximately $540 million in assets associated with an international conspiracy to launder funds misappropriated from a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund’
- “Combined with civil forfeiture complaints filed in July 2016, seeking more than $1 billion, and civil forfeiture complaints filed last week seeking approximately $100 million in assets, this case represents the largest action brought under the Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Initiative. Assets now subject to forfeiture in this case total almost $1.7 billion.”
- Page 2 & 3;
- d. “DUMB AND DUMBER TO” RIGHTS: All rights to and interests in the motion picture “Dumb and Dumber To” belonging to Red Granite.
- Page 3 Paragraph 4.
- ‘Contemporaneously with the filing of this complaint, plaintiff is filing related actions seeking the civil forfeiture of the following assets (collectively, the “NEW SUBJECT ASSETS”):
- i. 11.72-CARAT HEART-SHAPED DIAMOND: One 11.72-carat heart-shaped diamond with GIA number 2155273833.
- j. 8.88-CARAT DIAMOND PENDANT: One 8.88-carat fancy intense pink diamond pendant surrounded by 11-carat fancy intense pink diamonds.
- k. MATCHING DIAMOND JEWELRY SET: One 18-carat white gold diamond jewelry set, including diamond necklace, diamond earring, diamond bracelet, and diamond ring.
- l. 11-CARAT DIAMOND EARRINGS: One pair of 18K white gold diamond earrings consisting a 5.55-carat diamond with GIA number 2165455706 and a 5.49-carat diamond with GIA number 2165635932
- m. MATCHING DIAMOND RING AND EARRINGS: One pair of diamond earrings and matching diamond ring, consisting a 7.53-carat flawless type 2A diamond with GIA number 2145864026, a 3.05-carat flawless type 2A diamond with GIA number 2136117071, and a 3.08-carat flawless type 2A diamond with GIA number 2145977021.
March of 2018, a cache of emails were leaked to the Huffington Post. These emails showed extensive communications between Low Taek Jho and Robin Rosenzweig-Broidy discussion of aher husband Elliott Broidy.
- “Please feel free to call or email me or Elliott with any comments or concerns you have,” she wrote in an email, referring to her husband.
- “In the draft agreement, Rosenzweig proposed that Low would pay her and her firm, the Colfax Law Office, $8 million upfront.
- The deal would also give her and the firm an incentive to work fast: Low would pay an additional $50 million if the firm succeeded in “settling the Matter” — the DOJ investigation — within a year.
- That figure jumped to $75 million if the firm succeeded within 180 days.”
BBC published a rather concise summary of the Broidy leaked emails. These emails link Broidy, to Nader, to Kushner, to UAE, to Tillerson..its a never ending pit of vipers. At the time the emails were leaked Broidy’s spokesperson stated unequivocally;
‘We have reason to believe this hack was sponsored and carried out by registered and unregistered agents of Qatar seeking to punish Mr Broidy for his strong opposition to state-sponsored terrorism,"
And now back to 1MDB:
when the civil matters turns into a wide ranging criminal matter.
In my opinion the majority of the media has the Department of Justice and 1MDB recent actions wrong. It was widely reported that the DOJ halted their 1MDB actions. That assertion is entirely incorrect. The fact is in August of 2017 the DOJ asked a Federal Court to “temporarily halt civil forfeiture lawsuits” launched by the DOJ. Shortly thereafter the DOJ stated, on the record these civil cases could get in way of their ongoing ‘criminal investigation...into the business entities and individuals’. A FBI agent declaration stated;
‘Destruction of Evidence’
- that information disclosed in the civil cases may reveal “potential targets and subjects of the investigation and the investigative techniques that have been and will be used in the investigation.”
- “Such disclosures could result in the destruction of evidence, flight of potential subjects and targets, or the identification and intimidation of potential witnesses," according to the agent’s declaration.’
September 2017, in a reply brief regarding the Wolf of Wall Street Complaint. The government confirms the 1MDB case is now a wide ranging criminal matter.
Tomorrow I’ll wrap up this series. I’ll walk you through Broidy, Qatar, UAE and an on godly amount of money and Broidy’s lawsuit where he alleges Qatar of hacking his emails. It will also tie Gates, Broidy, Hollywood and Ukraine into a perfect little package.
Which is perfectly timed, given Gate’s business partners Federal trial starts next...-Spicy Out
While you're here, throw us a bone.
Mad Dog is thrilled to have Spicy in our PAC(k). We are proud to provide a space for her tireless, hard hitting, in-depth investigations. But we can’t do it without you.
Our numbers are growing. Our voices are being heard. Our campaigns are making a difference. Help us, and Spicy, continue to fight the good fight. Consider a donation to help support the work of Mad Dog PAC today.