Posted on March 13 2018
In June 2017 the Attornys General of the District of Columbia and the State of Maryland filed a lawsuit against Donald Trump.
- This is an action against Donald J. Trump in his official capacity as President of the United States.
- The case invokes unprecedented constitutional violations by the President that have injured and threaten to cause continuing injury to the District of Columbia (“the District”) and the State of Maryland (“Maryland”) and their respective residents.
- including direct injury to the plaintifls’ interests in properties located in the District, in Prince George’s County, Maryland, and in Montgomery County, Maryland
The lawsuit alleges violations by the President of two distinct, yet related provisions the U.S. Constitution:
- “ he [president Trump] faithfully serves the American people, free from compromising financial entanglements with foreign and domestic governments and officials.”
Foreign Emoluments Clause, prohibits any;
- “Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust” from accepting “any present, Emolument, Olfice, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or forcign State,”
- absent “the Consent of the Congress.” U.S. Const. art. I, S9, cl. 8.
- The Domestic Emoluments Clause, entitles the President to receive a salary while in office and forbids him from receiving that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.” U.S. Const. art. II, SI, d. 7.
“Together, these provisions help ensure that the President serves with undivided loyalty to the American people, and the American people only. Our republican form of government demands no less.“
Remember at NO time did President Trump or his attorneys seek and/or obtain approval from The Congress. That’s an incontrovertible fact. It’s not elective. It’s required, as prescribed by our Constitution.
The link to DC/MD emoluments lawsuit can be found here.
I’ve often said that the Judical process can be frustratingly slow. So imagine my delight, like Mic squealed when I saw my phone light up with the following update:
- Plaintiffs request to file a second Amended Complaint GRANTED
- Plaintiffs Motion to include Donald J Trump, in his personal capacity also GRANTED
You can read/download Judge Messitte’s 2 Page Order here
While you're here, throw us a bone.
Mad Dog is thrilled to have Spicy in our PAC(k). We are proud to provide a space for her tireless, hard hitting, in-depth investigations. But we can’t do it without you.
Our numbers are growing. Our voices are being heard. Our campaigns are making a difference. Help us, and Spicy, continue to fight the good fight. Consider a donation to help support the work of Mad Dog PAC today.